Warning: This post contains spoilers for Seasons 1-5!
I know my title says this post is thoughts on seasons 1-4 but it will possibly contain spoilers from season 5 as well because I have read 4.5 of the 5 released books, and I am going to talk about some of the stuff I haven’t seen yet but remember from the books.
As you may or may not know, I have been watching Game of Thrones!! I just finished season 4 and decided to do a “thoughts so far” post before I start season 5.
I have a LOT of random thoughts rumbling around my head right now, so I am just going to list them as bullets instead of boring you with super long paragraphs!
Books I have read:
- In college (2011 ish) I read:
- A Game of Thrones
- A Clash of Kings
- A Storm of Swords
- A Feast for Crows
- Half of A Dance with Dragons
- I only read half of A Dance with Dragons because I found it annoying that I was reading about the same events from A Feast for Crows. I know they were different POVs, but I wanted to read about new events! Also, Arya is my favorite character and she wasn’t in the book at all. (Later I found out she is in A Dance with Dragons but she doesn’t show up till chapter 45)
Seasons I have watched:
- In College: Season 1
- In the Last 4 weeks: Seasons 1-4
- I didn’t watch seasons 2-7 when they came out because I didn’t have access to HBO and didn’t want to buy the DVDs. My parents recently got HBO so I have decided I need to watch them all!
- My original plan was to get caught up before Season 8 started but obviously that didn’t happen
Deaths I Remembered From The Books:
(In order of Occurrence)
- Robert Baratheon
- Eddard Stark
- Viserys Targaryen
- Renly Baratheon
- Catelyn Stark
- Joffrey Baratheon (I knew he died but I couldn’t remember how)
- Oberyn Martell
- Tywin Lannister
Deaths I Had Forgotten About:
(In order of Occurrence)
- Rhaego (I had forgotten Daenerys was even pregnant)
- Maester Luwin
- Xaro Xhoan Daxos
- Jeor Mormont
- Talisa Stark
- Robb Stark (I really don’t know how I could have forgotten about this one)
- Lysa Arryn
- Jojen Reed
- Shae (Don’t know how I could have forgotten this one either)
Random Thoughts On The Deaths
- I’m super sad Ygritte died. Besides the Direwolf deaths, she was the death that made me the saddest.
- Viserys Targaryen’s death was my favorite in terms of how he died. He finally got his golden crown!
- I’m glad Joffrey died, I really hated him!
- I can’t believe that I completely forgot Robb died?!?! And Shae! I should have remembered those two
- Grey Wind (Robb)
- Lady (Sansa)
- Nymeria (Arya)
- Summer (Bran)
- Shaggydog (Rickon)
- Ghost (Jon)
- I love the Direwolves ❤ They are my favorites.
- I hate that Lady and Grey Wind are dead They were the saddest deaths so far!
- I hope that Arya gets Nymeria back! I know its a long shot but I am still hoping for it.
- I love the Dragons!
- They are still too small to ride and I can’t wait for them to get bigger.
- One of them just killed a child and that really sucked, but I still like them.
- I wish that Daenerys had a a little bit more control of them, but there is still time, they are still young.
Things I remember from the books that haven’t happened yet
- Catelyn Stark comes back!
- Arya joins some training thing but then steals some boots and breaks the rules and then they give her a lot of milk and she wakes up blind.
I feel like we are getting close to where I was in the books so there isn’t a lot that I remember that I haven’t already watched.
Things I had forgotten / Things I remembered wrong
- I completely forgot that Robb got married. I had no recollection of his wife or that she got pregnant.
- I thought the Red Wedding was the wedding between Renly and Margaery. I remembered Stannis’s demon child thing but for some reason I was thinking it killed everyone.
- Speaking of Stannis, I don’t remember his daughter at all, but I like her
- I don’t remember Theon’s side story AT ALL. (I also don’t think he deserves all the torture even though he is a POS)
- I had forgotten about Jojen and Meera Reed until they showed up. I had also forgotten about Jojen’s death. I didn’t really remember much of Bran’s story after he escaped Theon.
- I had forgotten Arya and the Hound traveled together, but I really like them together. I would have liked to see him train her and for them to form a sort of friendship.
- I remembered Xaro Xhoan Daxos letting Daenerys into Qarth, and I remember that her Dragons got stolen, but I had forgotten that Daxos was involved and I didn’t remember the magic room where she is sees Drogo and Rhaego.
- I didn’t remember Stannis saving The Wall in the battle against the Wildlings.
- Arya is my absolute favorite
- The Onion Knight
Least Favorite Characters
- The Red Woman
- The Mountain
- I hope Gendry comes back! I really liked him. I want Arya and him to get together
- I hope Nymeria comes back. It was really sad when Arya had to send her away
- I really hated Joffrey
- I think Jaime redeems himself and I kind of like him at this point
- It bugs me that his hair isn’t blonde anymore in season 4 but it was in season 1!
- I like Sansa better in the show than I did when reading the books
- Why won’t they let the Wildlings cross the wall? They are people too and they are just running from the winter and the White Walkers. I am sure the North could find them land to live on. The Wildlings would have to agree to not kill people, but I would think they could figure something out?
- In general I like the Starks but hate the Lannisters.
Things that I know are going to happen because of Spoilers
Warning: These spoilers could be anywhere in seasons 5-8. I know they happen but don’t know when.
I did hide them in case you are just scrolling but beware that it may not work in all browsers! You can skip down to the Wyrd & Wonder logo if you don’t want to read the next section!
Click here to see the list
- The Hound isn’t really dead.
- I had assumed he died what Arya left him, but he didn’t show up on the dead people lists so I guess he didn’t die? I only looked at the deaths in seasons 1-4 but I guess I accidentally spoiled this one for myself.
- Hodor dies.
- I don’t remember where I learned this one.
- Summer Dies
- I accidentally saw this when looking up the wolf names 😦
- Arya kills the Ice King
- An AOL auto play video spoiled this one for me
- One of the Dragon’s Dies
- A friend of mine said she refuses to watch the episode where the Dragon dies, so know I know a Dragon Dies.
- Jon and Daenerys team up
- Saw this on an ad for Season 8 that I didn’t mean to see
- Arya has sex (though I don’t know with who)
- The internet was pissed about this so it was hard not to see
I am sure I have other thoughts, but I can’t think of them right now and this post is already super long!
I am going to link this post up with Wyrd & Wonder because Game of Thrones is fantasy!